If you are feeling stressed out aromatherapy is really easy to use at home & won’t break the bank.
One really quick instant stress reliever is to use an oil burner; the relaxing properties of essential oils are wonderful. Simply add essential oil to an aromatherapy oil burner, which is one of safest & easiest ways to use oils. If the room is small & warm use only 1-3 drops with water, if you want to fragrance the whole house 6-9 but leave doors open & windows
Suggested oils to use
You can use oils singularly or blend 2/3 together to enhance the properties & create an interesting aroma.
- Benzoin use this when your mind won’t switch off, if you are thinking of all the things you need to do, Particularly when you are trying to sleep, this is oil for you.
- Lavender wonderful relaxing oil melts your stress away & aids restful sleep. Also very good for children who don’t sleep
- Lemongrass-use this oil to help you when you need extra energy it lifts you up when you are feeling low & over whelmed. I love to burn this in my kitchen, it has wonderful lemony aroma. It is perfect for clearing any unwanted odors.
- Geranium & Rosemary-If you are suffering from fatigue or just can’t face the task put 2 drops of geranium & 2 of rosemary into an oil burner, this will help.
- Mandarin – Everybody will comment on how nice this smells, it’s a good oil to burn during the evening to relax and encourage conversation
- Clary Sage is a deep relaxant so only use in the evening, it will relax you & ensure a good nights sleep. It eases muscle aches when used in bath or massage very good for tense neck or shoulder.
NB don’t drive after using, as your concentration will be less & don’t drink as it brings on bad dreams.
If you are using the essential oils to aid sleep, simply add 1 drop to a tissue under the pillow,
I think we have all been guilty of neglecting the bath, due to time pressureres we shower. If just once a week we can make time for a 30 minute bath, where we have peace & quite that is such a stress reliever.
A bath is an excellent way to relax when stressed, relieves muscular/ joint pains & aids sleep. Add 6 drops to a warm (not too hot bath) that has already been run. When using for a child, elderly, convalescent, sensitive skin or in pregnancy oils should be added to a vegetable carrier oil or full fat milk, only use 3 drops.
Guidance for which oils to use
At night time when you want to relax & sleep here are some oils that will help, Lavender, Chamomile, Clary Sage, Ylang Ylang, any wood oil i.e. Sandalwood.
In the day when you feel invigorated, happy, alert & uplifted, use Citrus Oils, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Rosemary & Pine.
Always remember when using essential oils that less is more. Don’t be tempted to add one extra drop, less is better. They are very powerful.
- The following oils should not be applied to the skin before exposure to sun. Lemon, orange, lemongrass, citronella, mandarin.
- Store oils in a cool dark place, away from homeopathic medicine.
- Don’t use oils neat on skin except for lavender & tea tree
- Kept out of reach of children.
- If you spill any oil clean up with milk or if you get any in your eye wash out with vegetable oil, don’t ingest or use internally.
Pregnancy – don’t use oils for first 4 months. Then only at half strength. The following oils should be avoided: basil, cedar wood, citronella, clary sage, fennel, hyssop, juniper, marjoram, myrrh, peppermint, rosemary, thyme.
Epilepsy & high blood pressure-Avoid camphor, fennel, hyssop, rosemary, & thyme.