today – how to Spring clean around kids
How to spring clean around kids
It’s that time of year isn’t it. The sofa covers need a good wash and air, cobwebs need tackling and cupboards need bottoming (such a funny phrase.) Spring cleaning helps us fall in love with our homes. Spring cleaning makes things fresh clean and de cluttered ready for the sunnier days. It might be a bit of an effort but we all know it is worth it, right?
But how on earth are you supposed to do it around kids?
Hmm… I have just this job to face over the Easter holidays but two children to entertain too. I have been giving it some thought.
Here is my cunning plan….
1) Give them a job to do such as sorting through the toy box and setting aside toys they no longer want. Keep this to the one room you are not yet cleaning. They will get immensely sidetracked and hardly choose anything but it will keep them out of your hair and declutter a tiny bit perhaps. (but check the SpaceWays infographic below…getting rig of excess clutter cuts housework by 40%, so well worth doing)
2) Choose a DVD you know they will love, stick it on, give them a snuggle blanket, bottle of water and a snack and let them get on with it. 1 1/2 zippy spring cleaning in the bag!
3) Do it whilst they eat. Whilst they sit having dinner do out a kitchen cupboard. bet you can whizz through it declutter and clean it in 10-15 minutes. Do this once a day at mealtimes and the kitchen will soon be done!
4) Do it whilst they bathe. Kids love a long play bath so pile in the bubbles and toys and attack those bathroom cupboards whilst they bathe. (Leaving any cleaning chemicals to be used later of course!)
5) Clean whilst they are sleeping. I am a big believer in making the most of their sleeping hours. Do what works best for you early morning or later evening and make the very most of them not being under your feet!
If you enjoyed this post on how to spring clean around kids you might also like my post on tips to keep your home clean during lockdown