What are the best baby gifts in the world ?
I have written before about how homemade, heartfelt gifts really touch me. I once wrote the notes to our wedding song onto music paper and framed it as a wedding anniversay gift for my husband. My good friend made my daughter a fabulous birthday cake when she was 1. My dad’s trilby was given to my son for his 3rd birthday by my mum. Some gifts cost nothing to give but give untold riches.
Photo Credit by Nicksarebi
I bet when you think back to the best baby gifts you were given you recall a mass of clothes, perhaps a frw expensive items such as a pram or pushchair and then one or two really meaningful gifts.
Here are a few of the precious, meaningful gifts I recall my children receiving from their baby gift days that cost little but love:
- A very poorly friend hand painted them a Christmas sweetie jar it took her ages. She wrapped it so carefully. It was a HUGE effort for her. We will keep it forever and always.
- My neices made our little family a hamper of chocolates and biscuits one Christmas. They spent all day with my aunty working on it and they were so proud.
- My mum’s best frined Ruby knitted Annalise a baby cardigan in every colour when she was born, one for each day of the week.
- Their Grandma Mary handmade them a wooden Chritsmas advent tree with cross stiched medallions to represent advent to hang on them. Totally unique and to keep for ever.
- Grandad repainted an old toy train of their daddy’s and made it all shiny and new to ride on.
- Great Gandma gave some old pennies to the children when they were born that had been part of her wedding gift many many years before.
- I , well I wrote them both a secret song. The Mbuti who live in the forests of Zaire are considered one of the most peaceful communities on Earth. Mbuti women when pregnant will, decorate their bodies with special leaves and flowers to honour their body, the child within, and the event that has yet to take place. During the last trimester, they also spend time alone in a special spot of the forest, which the mother has chosen specifically for her baby. Here they create special songs, which they sing to their child within the womb. These songs are never sung or heard by anyone else. They are secret lullabies. Following this gorgeous act of love I made up songs for my children and no one but I or they have ever heard or will ever hear them. Now that’s a baby gift and a half!.
- Some gifts are just so special aren’t they? Look at this made by my husband with an old scrabble set he bought at a car boot. How sweet.
Creativity and thought and a bundle of love make the best baby gifts in the wor;ld . Not money.