Venturing abroad on a budget?
I have often extolled the virtues of camping in the UK as being great for the pocket when holidaying with kids. I have discussed calling up friends who live somewhere lovely (near the beach, London, in the countryside etc.) to see if they want you and your brood to come visit. We have been on several Haven park holidays that have been cheap and cheerful and next to lovely beaches, but we have not yet travelled abroad with our kids.
However I am desperate, DESPERATE I tell you for some sunshine, sangria and blue waters and I at least want to explore our options for going abroad this year.
Package deals for families seem to be quite steep and I have a few friends who know people who rent out their apartments in Spain and Portugal and renting one of these seems a good option for us.
I have been told netflights is a great place to start looking for value flights as they browse 1000’s of cheap flights from over 135 airlines with flight deals to over 1500 worldwide destinations . Price comparison rocks doesn’t it? It’s speedy too and they also do car hire, hotels and holidays. This is so much easier than checking out individual airlines and package deals, car hire companies and so on.
Well using netflights I’ve found I can get 4 of us to Palma, Mallorca for under £800 we have a place to stay for free and we just need car hire, travel insurance and food. I reckon that’s min. £1100 for a weeks holiday. Sounds a fortune to me but it has been 8 years since I have left these shores. I know people who spend a bundle just preparing for holidays though let alone actually going!
Here is how I could really hike that cost up and some alternatives :
- · Buy a new camera for the occasion (use your phone or your old one. Really every sunny photo looks good enough!)
- · Have my hair done before I go (why?)
- · Buying tons of new things including a DS to entertain the kids on the way ( there are movies, you can take books, chat, play eye spy, noughts and crosses, sleep, watch the world and colour)
- · Buy new clothes and swimwear for all of us so we look the part (to impress who? Just take a cheap tube of travel wash!)
- · Get a taxi to the airport (No, no, no you should start as you mean to go on ask a friend o relative to drive you there and offer to return the favour when they go no matter what time of day or night!)
- · Eat out at restaurants each mealtime (there is no need to: why not make pack ups, sit outside for your pasta, take a picnic to the beach for tea, explore the local stores and eat local produce)
- · Go on every excursion available whilst away (chill out and relax it’s a holiday and kids can find sightseeing very dull…..let them play)
- · Buy loads of gifts for the pet sitter/granny/cousins etc. (Absolutely no need and you’ll just guilt them into having to do it back when they go away)
So yes I can keep costs down by being savvy about flights in the first place and by being sensible and budget conscious whilst away and beforehand. Ooh I hope we make it…..