Today – How to save money on petrol – my top tips for using less petrol and paying less at the pump we all need to know how to save money on fuel
pin how to save money on petrol for later
How to save money on petrol
For those looking at how to save money on petrol or how to save money on fuel, I would usually advise that where possible and practicable you should leave your car at home. This may sound really obvious but it is absolutely amazing how many people use their car for just the shortest of the journey. Leaving our cars at home and walking is a great way to save money on petrol and wear and tear on our cards generally.
Of course, all the free fitness and healthy fresh air we get form walking are added bonuses, as well as the weight loss that can come from walking. as well as all the environmental benefits which cannot be overstated. The pressure of cars on our environment is immense
Car pollution is one of the major causes of global warming. Cars and trucks emit carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which contribute one-fifth of the United States’ total global warming pollution. Greenhouse gases trap heat in the atmosphere, which causes worldwide temperatures to rise. Source
How about not owning a car at all in order to save money on fuel
Over at debt round up, there is a great post on the benefits of not owning a car and I love the one about it reduces stress. It absolutely does…driving is stressful isn’t it …so by not driving NOT only are you reducing costs you are also reducing your stress levels. I think that is pretty important. Debt round up also discusses how much more work they get done by not driving and taking the train instead. Car driving can be a waste of you time that as a passenger you can actually use effectively. This is a great post actually do pop and have a read.
Sometimes though we do need our cars
The reality remains though for some of us having to use our car is a necessity and petrol costs are a big expense that we have to meet. We need to learn how to save money on petrol and keep our costs down as much as we can ( though using our car less is totally a good option!)
How to save money on petrol – top tips
Make sure you do the following things if you are looking at how to save money on petrol ….
- Find out the cheapest petrol pump around your way. Just typing your postcode into www.petrolprices.com and signing up for free alerts saves you on average £2 per fill up. Now that is definitely well worth checking out. So often saving money is just about a little effort and this is such a smart and easy option to get int he habit of using,
- Empty your boot. This is really important as the extra weight can cost you more in petrol too. What is in your boot. Mine is totally full of charity shop bags just waiting to be dropped off – so really it would benefit both them and me financially if I just went right ahead and dropped those bags off.
- Use the right gear – this really does help so much with petrol usage ( or just get an automatic – much easier all round!)
- Drive a little slower – always a safer option anyway and nothing is worth driving too fast!!!
- Avoid starting /stopping a lot by planning ahead where you are going and the smoothest route ( an avoiding possible long traffic jams)
- Switch off the air conditioning
- Remove the roof rack – i know this takes effort but the more practice you have at it the quicker you will get!
- Close the windows
- Shift excess weight – and not I don’t mean you personally! I mean take out anything you don’t need e.g that spare car seat you arent using , maybe the mammoth tool kit you store in your boot. Just carrying necessities really lightens the load.
The don’ts of how to save money on petrol
But make sure you don’t:
- Fill your boot with rubbish and juts leave it there ( so easily done I know!)
- Tailgate other cars,stopping and starting when they do and having to pull heavily on to your breaks
- Coast with the engine turned off, this just uses up petrol so quickly,
- Or over-inflate your tyres – this isn’t safe either. You can research exactly what inflation your tyres need online or in your drivers manual. It is important to keep an eye on this
Do you have tips on how to save money on petrol or how to save money on fuel?
So now you know how to save money on petrol when out and about. It does not take much effort really and mainly it is about developing really good habits. If you have your own tips do leave us a comment below. Every little helps after all and I am a big believer in us all sharing our thrifty wisdom and building a brilliant money-saving community. Sharing is caring after all!
More money-saving tips
You might also like my post on smart buyers buy used cars