Let’s chat today about how to be energy efficient
Our guest post today is from Brenda at the green familia and here she shares some fab tips on energy efficiency. Thank you Brenda!
Energy efficiency at it’s purest!
How to be energy efficient
One of the easiest ways of saving money and being kind to the environment is to be energy efficient. Here are some tips on how to achieve this.
- Turn off all electrical appliances at the wall when not in use.Â Even leaving them on standby is still using up electricity which you are paying for!
- Keep your fridge and freezers dust free at the back.Â Once a month get into the habit of giving them a dust down, this helps them be more energy efficient.
- When replacing your washing machines, dishwashers etc, go for one that has a high energy efficient rating. Which? Is a good resource for finding out the best ones.
- Turning your heating down by just one degree, can also help you lower your energy bills.
- Ensure your house is fully insulated from the loft to your doors and windows!
- Switch to low energy light bulbs.
- When cooking, make larger portions and freeze the left overs for another day.
- Use lined curtains on windows that are slightly draughty to prevent too much heat loss.
- Invest or make your own door draught excluders, again to prevent heat loss.
These are only just a few tips, but if you can implement a few of these into your daily lives, you will find that eventually your energy bills will be less and you will have a more energy-efficient house which will help in your strive to be greener.
Brenda writes over at www.thegreenfamilia.co.uk, which is a light green natural living shopping blog.